More than 30 organisations met in Delhi on July1, 6, 14 & 21 to discuss the strategy to pressurize the UPA to place and pass the Women Reservation Bill in the Parliament. It is becoming clear with everyday that the UPA is dragging its feet on the WRB. Unless we are able to exert a lot of pressure it will again go in cold storage. It was due to the 14 years of struggle by various women’s movements from across India that the Bill was passed in the Rajya Sabha on March 9th. We must not allow it to lapse.
The meeting held on July 14 decided that a demonstration will be organised at the Parliament Street on July 29, 2010 from 11am to 2pm. People will gather at 10.30am at Jantar Mantar, march to Parliament Street where from 12 noon to 2pm a public meeting will be organised.
There would a three hour long program comprising of speeches and cultural programme in support of the Women Reservation Bill. A memorandum will be submitted to the President, PM and UPA chairperson.
Confirmed speakers include: Annie Raja, Javed Akhtar, Sharmila Tagore, Aruna Roy, D Raja and many women social activists.
I am writing to you with the request to:
1. Endorse the campaign by sending the name of your organisation/ or individually if you do not belong to any civil society organisation.
2. Participate in the programme and mobilise others from Delhi.
3. If you are from outside Delhi sponsor at least two people from your organisation to participate in the rally. For adjoining states please come in large numbers and not only two each.
4. Delhi arrangements for the programme are being made by the local core group. Expenditure incurred on travel and stay by outstation participants has to be borne by their respective organisations.
5. We are designing umbrellas which will have names of endorsees from different cities. These will be carried at the demonstration by participants. So please send us names of participant from your organization/ college/ university/ department and also send us names to be printed on the umbrella from your city who have endorsed the Bill . We will reserve the umbrellas for participants whose names are confirmed by July 27th.
The programme is being organised under the banner of Alliance for 33%. The following organizations have already endorsed the programme:
ADIVASI MAHILA JAGRUTI SANGATHAN, ADIVASI VIKAS MANCH, AIDMAM, AIDWA, AIPWA, AJMER ADULT EDUCATION ASSOCIATION, AKSHARA, ALWAR MEWAT SHIKSHA VIKAS SANSTHAN, ANANDI, ANHAD, ANHAD MEDIA, ASTHA, BAL VA MAHILA CHETNA SAMITI, BHARTIYA VIDYA PEETH INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT AND RESEARCH, BGVS,BURMESE WOMEN DELHI, CENTRE FOR ADVOCACY & RESEARCH, CENTRE FOR SOCIAL REASEARCH, CFAR, DARSHAN SAMITI, DELHI FORUM, DEVGADH MAHILA SANGATHAN, DISHARI MAHILA SAMITI, EKAL NAARI SHAKTI SANGATHAN, HRLN, ICW, GANA UNNAYAN PARISHAD, GANDHI SMRITI, GRAMYA RESOURCE CENTRE FOR WOMEN, IGSSS, JAGORI, JANVIKAS, JOINT WOMEN'S PROGRAMME, LAMP, MAHILA JAN ADHIKAR SAMITI, MAHILA PANCH SARPANCH SANGATHAN(RAJASTHAN), MAHILA SWARAJ MANCH, MALIYA MAHILA SHAKTI SANGTHAN, NATIONAL FORUM FOR SINGLE WOMEN’S RIGHTS, NAYEE PAHAL, NFIW, NISHTHA, OXFAM INDIA, PANAM MAHILA SANGATHAN, PRAYAS, PUCL, PWESCR, RAJSAMAND MAHILA MANCH, RIGHT TO FOOD, SADED, SAHRWARU,SANGAT, SANDARBH, SANLAAP, STREE ADHIKAR SANGATHAN, THE HUNGER PROJECT, URJAGHAR, WAR WIDOWS ASSOCIATION, WOMEN FEATURE SERVICES,WOMEN POWER CONNECT,YWCA
Please urgently send your endorsement. If you have already done so and your name is missing let us know too.
Shabnam Hashmi3, Canning Lane
Tel- 23070740/ 22
Alliance for 33% Secretariat
ANHAD YWCA, 10 Sansad Marg, New Delhi-110001
3, Canning Lane Tel: 23361561 / 23361662